|I already have the right hat|
I've been here in paradise for the last decade taking care of Pops. Now the time has come to turn his continued care over to one of my 4 sisters.
Looking back on the last 10 years:
- While I was here I made many great friends (and a couple of lifelong enemies);
- Fell in love with Coconut Grove while trying to save the E.W.F. Stirrup House from Demolition by Neglect, with little success;
- I learned I loved drum circles, participating in different ones stretching from Delray Beach all the way south to Coconut Grove, a distance of almost 60 miles;
- Long before local media took notice of Trolleygate and Soilgate, I broke the news on both issues and continued to scoop the Miami media over and over again, writing several investigative articles I'm quite proud of;
- Wrote about the systemic racism in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, which continues to this day;
- To my utter surprise found myself involved in local Miami politics;
- And, thankfully, I experienced only one hurricane, the first year I was here.
attachment to Coconut Grove is a flame that cannot be extinguished. I will continue to visit West Grove, as well as write about this unique and magical place. I already have a couple of new articles in the pipeline.
But, as I say, it's time for me to leave.
I'll need to find long pants and warm socks because I'm heading back to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the city I call home no matter where I am.
Just like Coconut Grove, I fell in love with Toronto the first time I saw it. That was long before I ever moved there. I miss The Big Smoke and my brief visit earlier this year -- 4 days in September -- only whetted my appetite for more.
I've not seen a Canadian winter in 11 years. I wonder if they are as bad as I remember, although it's balmy up there right now. That won't last long. I've never liked Winter and I am not sure whether I'll survive the cold, or not, but the effort will be worth it.
My biggest mistake was choosing to quit before I really had the means to do so. However, I just hit the wall. Consequently, I have fired up a Go Fund Me account to help get me back to Toronto. Please take a look and see if you can find your way clear to contribute a few bucks to get me home.