- 1541 – King Francis I of France gives Jean-François Roberval a commission to settle the province of New France (Canada) and provide for the spread of the "Holy Catholic faith".
- 1559 – Elizabeth I is crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey, London, England.
- 1777 – American Revolutionary War: New Connecticut (present day Vermont) declares its independence.
- 1870 – A political cartoon for the first time symbolizes the Democratic Party with a donkey ("A Live Jackass Kicking a Dead Lion" by Thomas Nast for Harper's Weekly).
- 1889 – The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is incorporated in Atlanta.
- 1908 – The Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority becomes the first Greek-letter organization founded and established by African American college women.
- 1919 – Boston Molasses Disaster: A large molasses tank in Boston, Massachusetts, bursts and a wave of molasses rushes through the streets, killing 21 people and injuring 150 others.
- 1943 – The world's largest office building, The Pentagon, is dedicated in Arlington, Virginia.
- 1969 – The Soviet Union launches Soyuz 5.
- 1970 – Muammar Gaddafi is proclaimed premier of Libya.
- 1973 – Vietnam War: Citing progress in peace negotiations, President Richard Nixon announces the suspension of offensive action in North Vietnam.
- 1991 – The United Nations deadline for the withdrawal of Iraqi forces from occupied Kuwait expires, preparing the way for the start of Operation Desert Storm.
- 2001 – Wikipedia, a free Wiki content encyclopedia, goes online.
- 2005 – ESA's SMART-1 lunar orbiter discovers elements such as calcium, aluminum, silicon, iron, and other surface elements on the Moon.
- 2009 – US Airways Flight 1549 makes an emergency landing in the Hudson River shortly after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport in New York, New York. All passengers and crew members survive.
MORE OF THAT GOP OUTREACH:
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FOX NEWS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FREE THE WEED!!!
IN INNER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.