- 1492 – Spain gives Christopher Columbus his commission of exploration.
- 1789 – On the balcony of Federal Hall on Wall Street in New York City, George Washington takes the oath of office to become the first elected President of the United States.
- 1803 – Louisiana Purchase: The United States purchases the Louisiana Territory from France for $15 million, more than doubling the size of the young nation.
- 1900 – Hawaii becomes a territory of the United States, with Sanford B. Dole as governor.
- 1900 – Casey Jones dies in a train wreck in Vaughan, Mississippi, while trying to make up time on the Cannonball Express.
- 1907 – Honolulu, Hawaii becomes an independent city.
- 1927 – Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford become the first celebrities to leave their footprints in concrete at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
- 1939 – NBC inaugurates its regularly scheduled television service in New York City, broadcasting President Franklin D. Roosevelt's N.Y. World's Fair opening day ceremonial address.
- 1945 – World War II: Führerbunker: Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun commit suicide after being married for one day. Soviet soldiers raise the Victory Banner over the Reichstag building.
- 1956 – Former Vice President and Senator Alben Barkley dies during a speech in Virginia. He collapses after proclaiming "I would rather be a servant in the house of the lord than sit in the seats of the mighty."
- 1966 – The Church of Satan is established at the Black House in San Francisco.
- 1973 – Watergate scandal: U.S. President Richard Nixon announces that top White House aides H. R. Haldeman, John Ehrlichman and others have resigned.
- 1975 – Fall of Saigon: Communist forces gain control of Saigon. The Vietnam War formally ends with the unconditional surrender of South Vietnamese president Dương Văn Minh.
- 1993 – CERN announces World Wide Web protocols will be free.
- 2004 – U.S. media release graphic photos of American soldiers abusing and sexually humiliating Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.
- 2009 – Chrysler files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
THE 2016 ELECTION:
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
MORE OF THAT REPUBLICAN OUTREACH:
ANOTHER SHOOTOUT AT THE OK CORRAL:
FREE THE WEED!!!
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.