- 1894 – Coca-Cola is bottled and sold for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi, by local soda fountain operator Joseph Biedenharn.
- 1912 – The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- 1918 – Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1930 – Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt
- 1933 – Great Depression: Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as President of the United States. This is also the first of his "fireside chats".
- 1947 – The Truman Doctrine is proclaimed to help stem the spread of Communism.
- 1968 – Mauritius achieves independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1992 – Mauritius becomes a republic while remaining a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1993 – North Korea nuclear weapons program: North Korea says that it plans to withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and refuses to allow inspectors access to its nuclear sites.
- 1993 – Janet Reno is sworn in as the United States' first female attorney general.
- 1994 – The Church of England ordains its first female priests.
- 1999 – Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO.
- 2009 – Financier Bernard Madoff pleads guilty in New York to scamming $18 billion, the largest in Wall Street history.
- 2011 – A reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant melts and explodes and releases radioactivity into the atmosphere a day after Japan's earthquake.
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-SELMA SOCIETY:
IN LGBT NEWS:
GIMME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION:
FREE THE WEED!!!
WAR IS HELL!!!
MORE OF THAT REPUBLICAN OUTREACH:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
ANOTHER SHOOTOUT AT THE OK CORRAL:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.