- 1642 – King Charles I of England sends soldiers to arrest members of Parliament, commencing England's slide into civil war.
- 1649 – English Civil War: The Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial.
- 1762 – Great Britain declares war on Spain and Naples.
- 1847 – Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- 1865 – The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City.
- 1889 – The Oklahoma Land Run opens 2 million acres of unused Oklahoma Territory to first serve first come settlers on April 22.
- 1896 – Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1903 – Topsy, an elephant, is electrocuted by the owners of Luna Park, Coney Island. Thomas Edison's movie company shoots the film Electrocuting an Elephant of the execution.
- 1912 – The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal charter.
- 1958 – Sputnik 1 falls to Earth from orbit.
- 1959 – Luna 1 becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- 1965 – United States President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaims his "Great Society" during his State of the Union address.
- 1972 – Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London, England.
- 1974 – United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 1998 – A massive ice storm hits eastern Canada and the northeastern United States, continuing through January 10 and causing widespread destruction.
- 2007 – The 110th United States Congress convenes, electing Nancy Pelosi as the first female Speaker of the House in U.S. history.
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
MORE OF THAT GOP OUTREACH:
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FREE THE WEED!!!
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.