- 1687 – Isaac Newton publishes Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
- 1775 – The Second Continental Congress adopts the Olive Branch Petition.
- 1934 – "Bloody Thursday" – Police open fire on striking longshoremen in San Francisco.
- 1935 – The National Labor Relations Act, which governs labor relations in the United States, is signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1937 – Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
- 1946 – The bikini goes on sale after debuting during an outdoor fashion show at the Molitor Pool in Paris, France.
- 1948 – National Health Service Acts creates the national public health systems in the United Kingdom.
- 1950 – Zionism: The Knesset passes the Law of Return which grants all Jews the right to immigrate to Israel.
- 1954 – The BBC broadcasts its first television news bulletin.
- 1971 – Right to vote: The Twenty-sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution, lowering the voting age from 21 to 18 years, is formally certified by President Richard Nixon.
- 1975 – Arthur Ashe becomes the first black man to win the Wimbledon singles title.
- 1989 – Iran–Contra affair: Oliver North is sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gesell to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines and 1,200 hours community service. His convictions were later overturned.
- 1996 – Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal cloned from an adult cell.
- 2009 – The largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold ever discovered, consisting of more than 1,500 items, is found near the village of Hammerwich, near Lichfield, in Staffordshire, England.
TODAY IN RELIGION:
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
"GOP" STANDS FOR "GOT OUR PROPHYLACTICS?"
GOP ALSO STANDS FOR THE LAST CENTURY:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
FREE THE WEED!!!
On Social Media, Some Are Susceptible to Internet Outrage
FOX NEWS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
STEVE DOOCY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
OUTNUMBERED IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.