- 1621 – The Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony sign a peace treaty with Massasoit of the Wampanoags.
- 1622 – Jamestown massacre: Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia, a third of the colony's population, during the Second Anglo-Powhatan War.
- 1630 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony outlaws the possession of cards, dice, and gaming tables.
- 1638 – Anne Hutchinson is expelled from Massachusetts Bay Colony for religious dissent.
- 1765 – The British Parliament passes the Stamp Act that introduces a tax to be levied directly on its American colonies.
- 1871 – In North Carolina, William Woods Holden becomes the first governor of a U.S. state to be removed from office by impeachment.
- 1960 – Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes receive the first patent for a laser
- 1963 – The Beatles' first album, Please Please Me, is released in the United Kingdom.
- 1972 – In Eisenstadt v. Baird, the United States Supreme Court decides that unmarried persons have the right to possess contraceptives.
- 1993 – The Intel Corporation ships the first Pentium chips (80586), featuring a 60 MHz clock speed, 100+ MIPS, and a 64 bit data path.
BEST HEADLINE DU JOUR:
Rand Paul Says the GOP is Like Bad Pizza Crust
Judge lifts Michigan's ban on gay marriage
Lesbian Visits Harlem
Church for Her Stoning
Gay Arkansas student says his
profile was pulled from yearbook
African-American Man Confronts
Paul Ryan At Town Hall Over
Ryan’s Racist Comments
THE "O" IN GOP STANDS FOR OBSOLETE:
Will Republicans mute
the culture war in 2016?
Confession of a Former Bully
-- Not Now Silly has its own Cyber-Bullies --
The Mark Koldys-Johnny Dollar Cyber-Bully Comments of the Day
How Facebook is Quite Possibly Becoming the Biggest Scam in Marketing and Advertising Ever
The 10 Facebook friends you need to block
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
Marijuana Economy Has
Plenty Of Room To Grow
No proof that high-dose
cannabis is more addictive
MORE PROOF THE EARTH SUCKS:
40ft-deep hole drains Stockport park lake of water
Have Detroit Police Department raids made a difference?
Audit: 19 Detroit Fire Department workers have invalid driver's licenses
Filmmaker discusses his 45-year-old documentary on late-'60s Detroit
CRACK MAYOR CORNER:
Debunking Ford Nation’s favourite budget chart
CRACK MAYOR BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
The Five Ribs Bill O’Reilly for Acting Like He’s Above the MH370 Coverage
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.