- 3340 BC – Earliest believed record of an eclipse.
- 1829 – First Welland Canal opens for a trial run, 5 years to the day from the ground breaking.
- 1886 – The Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- 1936 – In London, the Crystal Palace is destroyed by fire.
- 1940 – Lucille Ball marries Desi Arnaz in Greenwich, Connecticut.
- 1947 – 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine begins, leading up to the creation of the state of Israel.
- 1954 – In Sylacauga, Alabama, United States, the Hodges meteorite crashes through a roof and hits a woman taking an afternoon nap in the only documented case of a human being hit by a rock from space.
- 1972 – Vietnam War: White House Press Secretary Ron Ziegler tells the press that there will be no more public announcements concerning American troop withdrawals from Vietnam due to the fact that troop levels are now down to 27,000.
- 1982 – Michael Jackson's second solo album, Thriller is released worldwide. It will become the best-selling record album in history.
- 1993 – U.S. President Bill Clinton signs the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (the Brady Bill) into law.
- 1995 – Official end of Operation Desert Storm.
- 1999 – In Seattle, United States, demonstrations against a World Trade Organization meeting by anti-globalization protesters catch police unprepared and force the cancellation of opening ceremonies.
- 2004 – Longtime Jeopardy! champion Ken Jennings of Salt Lake City, finally loses, leaving him with US$2,520,700, television's biggest game show winnings.
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
IN LGBT NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF DENVER COPS GONE WILD:
FREE THE WEED!!!
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.