- 1502 – Christopher Columbus lands at Honduras on his fourth, and final, voyage.
- 1679 – New Hampshire becomes a county of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1793 – The first cornerstone of the Capitol building is laid by George Washington.
- 1850 – The U.S. Congress passes the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850.
- 1851 – First publication of The New-York Daily Times, which later becomes The New York Times.
- 1895 – Booker T. Washington delivers the "Atlanta Compromise" address.
- 1914 – The Irish Home Rule Act becomes law, but is delayed until after World War I.
- 1927 – The Columbia Broadcasting System goes on the air.
- 1934 – The USSR is admitted to the League of Nations.
- 1943 – World War II: Adolf Hitler orders the deportation of Danish Jews.
- 1959 – Vanguard 3 is launched into Earth orbit.
- 1962 – Burundi, Jamaica, Rwanda and Trinidad and Tobago are admitted to the United Nations.
- 1973 – The Bahamas, East Germany and West Germany are admitted to the United Nations.
- 1975 – Patty Hearst is arrested after a year on the FBI Most Wanted List.
- 1977 – Voyager I takes first photograph of the Earth and the Moon together.
- 1990 – Liechtenstein becomes a member of the United Nations.
- 1997 – United States media magnate Ted Turner donates USD 1 billion to the United Nations.
- 2014 – Scottish independence referendum
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
IN LGBT NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
GOP STANDS FOR GOT OUR PRIORITIES:
GET THE FRACK OUT OF HERE!!!
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
FREE THE WEED!!!
The NFL's Hazy Logic on Marijuana
When it comes to pot, the league's usual
anti-drug arguments don't hold—and are
harming players instead of protecting them.
Marijuana industry ad campaign battles stereotypes, promotes safe use
VIDEO BONUS DU JOUR:
BEST HEADLINES DU JOUR:
HARRIS FAULKNER IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
STUART VARNEY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.