- 1787 – Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1806 – Francis II, the last Holy Roman Emperor, abdicates ending the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1890 – At Auburn Prison in New York, murderer William Kemmler becomes the first person to be executed by electric chair.
- 1912 – The Bull Moose Party meets at the Chicago Coliseum.
- 1914 – World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1926 – Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- 1930 – Judge Joseph Force Crater steps into a taxi in New York and disappears never to be seen again.
- 1944 – The Warsaw Uprising occurs on August 1. It is brutally suppressed and all able-bodied men in Krakow are detained afterwards to prevent a similar uprising--the Krakow Uprising (1944)-- that was planned but never carried out.
- 1945 – World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1960 – Cuban Revolution: Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
- 1962 – Jamaica becomes independent from the United Kingdom.
- 1964 – Prometheus, a bristlecone pine and the world's oldest tree, is cut down.
- 1965 – US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.
- 1991 – Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 1996 – NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.
- 2012 – NASA's Curiosity rover lands on the surface of Mars.
MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND:
Move America Forward has collected millions to send care packages to U.S. troops. But its assets have been used to benefit conservative political consulting firms close to its Tea Party founder.
Down and out in Lake County
IN LGBT NEWS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
THE FALAFEL KING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
CNN IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.