- 1173 – Construction of the campanile of the Cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1483 – Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1814 – Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1854 – Henry David Thoreau publishes Walden.
- 1892 – Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1930 – Betty Boop makes her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936 – Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1942 – Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- 1944 – The United States Forest Service and the Wartime Advertising Council release posters featuring Smokey Bear for the first time.
- 1945 – World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1969 – Followers led by Charles Manson murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men's hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
- 1974 – As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
IN ROCK AND ROLL NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
|This is NOT Johnny Dollar, |
just an incredible likeness
PAID INTERNET TROLLS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
|The Foxy Friends |
at Fox & Friends
STEVE DOOCY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
CHARLES PAYNE IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.