- 1553 – Lady Jane Grey takes the throne of England.
- 1821 – The United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.
- 1850 – Millard Fillmore is inaugurated as the 13th President of the United States upon the death of President Zachary Taylor, 16 months into his term.
- 1890 – Wyoming is admitted as the 44th U.S. state.
- 1913 – Death Valley, California, hits 134 °F (57 °C), the highest temperature recorded in the United States.
- 1921 – Belfast's Bloody Sunday: 16 people are killed and 161 houses destroyed during rioting and gun battles in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- 1925 – Meher Baba begins his silence of 44 years. His followers observe Silence Day on this date in commemoration.
- 1925 – Scopes Trial: In Dayton, Tennessee, the so-called "Monkey Trial" begins with John T. Scopes, a young high school science teacher accused of teaching evolution in violation of the Butler Act.
- 1962 – Telstar, the world's first communications satellite, is launched into orbit.
- 1966 – The Chicago Freedom Movement, led by Martin Luther King, Jr., holds a rally at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. As many as 60,000 people come to hear Dr. King as well as Mahalia Jackson, Stevie Wonder, and Peter Paul and Mary.
- 1985 – The Greenpeace vessel Rainbow Warrior is bombed and sunk in Auckland harbour by French DGSE agents, killing Fernando Pereira.
- 1992 – In Miami, Florida, the former Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega is sentenced to 40 years in prison for drug and racketeering violations.
- 1997 – In London scientists report the findings of the DNA analysis of a Neanderthal skeleton which supports the "out of Africa theory" of human evolution placing an "African Eve" at 100,000 to 200,000 years ago.
- 1998 – Roman Catholic sex abuse cases: The Diocese of Dallas agrees to pay $23.4 million to nine former altar boys who claimed they were sexually abused by Rudolph Kos, a former priest.
FREE THE WEED!!!
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
KIRSTEN POWERS HAS HAD ENOUGH!!!
JESSE WATTERS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
STEVE DOOCY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
TUCKER FUCKER CARLSON IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
ABLOW JOB IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.