- 1495 – Friar John Cor records the first known batch of Scotch whisky.
- 1533 – Anne Boleyn is crowned Queen of England.
- 1660 – Mary Dyer is hanged for defying a law banning Quakers from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1779 – Benedict Arnold, a general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, is court-martialed for malfeasance.
- 1792 – Kentucky is admitted as the 15th state of the United States.
- 1796 – Tennessee is admitted as the 16th state of the United States.
- 1812 – War of 1812: The U.S. President James Madison asks the Congress to declare war on the United Kingdom.
- 1813 – James Lawrence, the mortally-wounded commander of the USS Chesapeake, gives his final order: "Don't give up the ship!"
- 1890 – The United States Census Bureau begins using Herman Hollerith's tabulating machine to count census returns.
- 1916 – Louis Brandeis becomes the first Jew appointed to the United States Supreme Court.
- 1921 – Tulsa Race Riot: civil unrest in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- 1941 – The Farhud, a pogrom of Iraqi Jews, takes place in Baghdad.
- 1943 – British Overseas Airways Corporation Flight 777 is shot down over the Bay of Biscay by German Junkers Ju 88s, killing the actor Leslie Howard and leading to speculation that its shooting down was an attempt to kill the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
- 1958 – Charles de Gaulle comes out of retirement to lead France by decree for six months.
- 1962 – The Pilkington Committee on Broadcasting concludes, among other things, that the British public did not want commercial radio broadcasting.
- 1967 – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles is released.
- 1974 – The Heimlich maneuver for rescuing choking victims is published in the journal Emergency Medicine.
- 1979 – The first black-led government of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 90 years takes power.
- 1980 – Cable News Network (CNN) begins broadcasting.
- 2009 – General Motors files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It is the fourth largest United States bankruptcy in history.
OH! OH!! CANADA!!!
GOP STANDS FOR "GRIFTERS OUR PROBLEMS"
Why the Republican Party attracts provocateurs, faux martyrs, and grifters in droves.
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY?
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
ANOTHER EXCITING ADVENTURE OF COPS GONE WILD:
FREE THE WEED!!!
IN FLOR-I-DUH NEWS:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.