- 1328 – Antipope Nicholas V, a claimant to the papacy, is consecrated in Rome by the Bishop of Venice.
- 1551 – National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, is founded in Lima, Peru.
- 1864 – American Civil War: the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die in "the Bloody Angle".
- 1870 – The Manitoba Act is given the Royal Assent, paving the way for Manitoba to become a province of Canada on July 15.
- 1885 – North-West Rebellion: the four-day Battle of Batoche, pitting rebel Métis against the Canadian government, comes to an end with a decisive rebel defeat.
- 1932 – Ten weeks after his abduction, the infant son of Charles Lindbergh, Charles Jr., is found dead in Hopewell, New Jersey, just a few miles from the Lindberghs' home.
- 1935 – Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith (founders of Alcoholics Anonymous) meet for the first time in Akron, Ohio, at the home of Henrietta Siberling.
- 1937 – The Duke and Duchess of York are crowned as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at a ceremony in Westminster Abbey.
- 1942 – The Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
- 1965 – The Soviet spacecraft Luna 5 crashes on the Moon.
- 2002 – Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming the first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
- 2008 – An earthquake (measuring around 8.0 magnitude) occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 69,000 people.
IN LGBT NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
FREE THE WEED!!!
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Watch Fox Host Admit Channel’s True Motivations: ‘You Want to Cut Obama’s Throat in Every Story We Do! That’s Your Job!’ (Video)
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.