- 1792 – Highwayman Nicolas J. Pelletier becomes the first person executed by guillotine.
- 1792 – La Marseillaise (the French national anthem) is composed by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle.
- 1846 – Thornton Affair: Open conflict begins over the disputed border of Texas, triggering the Mexican–American War.
- 1847 – The last survivors of the Donner Party are out of the wilderness.
- 1859 – British and French engineers break ground for the Suez Canal.
- 1901 – New York becomes the first U.S. state to require automobile license plates.
- 1944 – The United Negro College Fund is incorporated.
- 1945 – The Nazi occupation army surrenders and leaves Northern Italy after a general partisan insurrection by the Italian resistance movement; the puppet fascist regime dissolves and Benito Mussolini tries to escape. This day is taken as symbolic of the Liberation of Italy.
- 1953 – Francis Crick and James D. Watson publish "Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid" describing the double helix structure of DNA.
- 1959 – The St. Lawrence Seaway, linking the North American Great Lakes and the Atlantic Ocean, officially opens to shipping.
- 1961 – Robert Noyce is granted a patent for an integrated circuit.
- 1982 – Israel completes its withdrawal from the Sinai Peninsula per the Camp David Accords.
- 1983 – Pioneer 10 travels beyond Pluto's orbit.
- 1988 – In Israel, John Demjanuk is sentenced to death for war crimes committed in World War II.
IN LGBT NEWS:
with spouse because of Idaho law
GET THE FRACK OUT OF HERE:
In Landmark Ruling, Jury Says
Fracking Company Must Pay
$3 Million To Sickened Family
Two Former LA Sheriff Deputies Charged With Planting Guns At Marijuana Dispensary
GOP STANDS FOR "GOT OVERLY PLASTERED"
Mormon GOP Senator
Who Claims to Abstain from
Alcohol Arrested for DUI
What Georgia’s expansive
new pro-gun law does
Georgia Governor Signs Bill
Allowing Guns In Bars,
Churches, Libraries And Schools
IT'S A SERIES OF TUBES:
US proposes pay-for-priority
Net-Neutrality Advocates Angered
by FCC’s Planned New Rules
F.C.C. On Track To Ruin Last Truly Democratic Institution: The Internet
WAR IS HELL, UNLESS YOU'RE A CONTRACTOR:
The Real Winner of the Afghan War
Is This Shady Military Contractor
The State Department paid out $4 billion
to rebuild Afghanistan. Some $2.5 billion of
that went to a single firm with a bad, bad past.
IN THE WORLD OF SPORTS:
Buffalo Bills Cheerleaders Allege Minimum
Wage Violations In Lawsuit Against Team
Dawsey: The Ban on
Affirmative Action Is About
Preserving the Caste System
8 Times the Supreme Court
Was Bewildered by Technology
Libertarian Hero Cliven
Bundy Shockingly Turns
Out to Be Gigantic Racist
Cliven Bundy is part of a long tradition: corporate mooching
Cliven Bundy’s Slavery Delusion
Fox News' Anti-Gay Selective Outrage In One Chart
Fox Goes Silent On Bundy
After Racist Tirade
Fox's Krauthammer Blasts Conservatives For Their
Support Of Cliven Bundy
Roger Ailes owns Cliven Bundy now: How dumb opportunism became a right-wing nightmare
Did Roger Ailes Dupe James Rosen,
Or Did Rosen Dupe 'Merka?
Sean Hannity Claims That He
Is The Real Victim of Cliven Bundy’s Racist Comments
Hannity Addresses Bundy on Fox: Comments ‘Downright Racist’ and ‘Bigoted’
Hannity: ‘I Think Jon Stewart Is Extremely Talented and Funny’
‘Be Careful Who
You Partner Up With’
GRETA VAN SUSTEREN IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Greta: ‘I Condemn What Cliven Bundy Said About African Americans’
Fox’s Gretchen Carlson
Shuts Down Democrat’s
Attempt to Bring Up Bundy
BRAIN BRIAN KILMEADE IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Fox's Brian Kilmeade Mocks
His Own Prom Photo,
Says It's "A Little Gay"
Fox's Tantaros: Supreme Court
Rolling Back Civil Rights Laws Is
What "Martin Luther King Wished For"
CNN IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
President Obama Tears Apart CNN’s Lazy
and Biased Press Conference Question
Watch as swarms of micro-robots run around making stuff
TODAY IN ART:
Dozens of Never-Before-
Seen Andy Warhol Works
Found on Floppy Disks
IN BEATLES NEWS:
Paul McCartney sets Aug. 14 Candlestick show
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.