- 1348 – The founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III is announced on St. George's Day.
- 1635 – The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1661 – King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland is crowned in Westminster Abbey.
- 1910 – American President Theodore Roosevelt makes his "The Man in the Arena" speech.
- 1914 – First baseball game at Wrigley Field, then known as Weeghman Park in Chicago.
- 1945 – World War II Adolf Hitler's designated successor Hermann Göring sends him a telegram asking permission to take leadership of the Third Reich, which causes Hitler to replace him with Joseph Goebbels and Karl Dönitz.
- 1955 – The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
- 1968 – Vietnam War: Student protesters at Columbia University in New York City take over administration buildings and shut down the university.
- 1985 – Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
TACO BELL IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
|How many lies can you spot in this graphic?|
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
BULLY BOY BOLLING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
STEVE DOOCY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FOX & FRIENDS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.