- 1513 – Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León first sights land in what is now Florida.
- 1792 – The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint.
- 1902 – "Electric Theatre", the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California.
- 1917 – World War I: United States President Woodrow Wilson asks the U.S. Congress for a declaration of war on Germany.
- 1930 – After the mysterious death of Empress Zewditu, Haile Selassie is proclaimed emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1956 – As the World Turns and The Edge of Night premiere on CBS-TV. The two soaps become the first daytime dramas to debut in the 30-minute format.
- 1972 – Actor Charlie Chaplin returns to the United States for the first time since being labeled a communist during the Red Scare in the early 1950s.
- 1975 – Construction of the CN Tower is completed in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It reaches 553.33 metres (1,815.4 ft) in height, becoming the world's tallest free-standing structure.
- 1992 – In New York, Mafia boss John Gotti is convicted of murder and racketeering and is later sentenced to life in prison.
The GOP’s perpetual war drum explained:
Why are Republicans so eager for conflict?
Louie Gohmert: ‘Separation of church and state’ means ‘church plays a role in the state’
IN 'MERKIN POLITICS:
Gay Key West men sue for right
to marry in Florida after Monroe
clerk’s office denies couple a license
FREE THE WEED!!!
Colorado drivers claim 'license plate
profiling' after marijuana legalization
Medical marijuana sales now officially legal in Nevada
TODAY IN RELIGION:
Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement
Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers
White Officers Falsely
Arrested Black Teen: Jury
Report: Well-being of African-Americans in Michigan among worst in nation
EVOLUTION IS COMPLICATED:
Zebra Stripes Evolved to Keep
Biting Flies Away, Study Reveals
Detroit installs 3,200
new LED street lights
Cobalts Were Seen as Lemons From Start, State Data Shows
O'Reilly Provides GOP A
2014 Platform: "All They
Have To Do Is Get A
Transcript Of This Show"
O’Reilly, Juan Williams
Rip Chris Hayes: He
Used Conservative Guest
as ‘Living Piñata’!
STEVE DOOCY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Steve Doocy, Guest Agree: Godless 'Noah' Example Of Today's Godlessness!
Art and Science Collide in the Discovery of the Higgs Boson
Particle Fever, a documentary about
the physicists who found the "God
particle," suggests doing science
isn’t that different from making art
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.