- 1429 – Joan of Arc arrives to relieve the Siege of Orleans.
- 1770 – James Cook arrives at and names Botany Bay, Australia.
- 1861 – American Civil War: Maryland's House of Delegates votes not to secede from the Union.
- 1862 – American Civil War: New Orleans, Louisiana falls to Union forces under Admiral David Farragut.
- 1945 – World War II: The German army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.
- 1945 – World War II – Fuehrerbunker: Adolf Hitler marries his longtime partner Eva Braun in a Berlin bunker and designates Admiral Karl Dönitz as his successor. Both Hitler and Braun commit suicide the following day.
- 1945 – The Dachau concentration camp is liberated by United States troops.
- 1953 – The first U.S. experimental 3D television broadcast showed an episode of Space Patrol on Los Angeles ABC affiliate KECA-TV.
- 1967 – After refusing induction into the United States Army the day before (citing religious reasons), Muhammad Ali is stripped of his boxing title.
- 1968 – The controversial musical Hair, a product of the hippie counter-culture and sexual revolution of the 1960s, opens at the Biltmore Theatre on Broadway, with its song becoming anthems of the anti-Vietnam War movement.
- 1974 – Watergate Scandal: President Richard Nixon announces the release of edited transcripts of White House tape recordings relating to the scandal.
- 1992 – Los Angeles riots: Riots in Los Angeles, California, following the acquittal of police officers charged with excessive force in the beating of Rodney King. Over the next three days 53 people are killed and hundreds of buildings are destroyed.
- 2004 – Dick Cheney and George W. Bush testify before the 9/11 Commission in a closed, unrecorded hearing in the Oval Office.
- 2011 – The Wedding of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Kate Middleton.
G.O.P. STANDS FOR "GOT OUR PLAN"
FREE THE WEED!!!
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
IN ANTI-SOCIAL NETWORKS:
DONALD TRUMP IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
BULLY BOY BOLLING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FUCKER TUCKER CARLSON IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
OUTNUMBERED IN THE NEWS FOR THE FIRST TIME:
IN INNER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.