- 1204 – The Crusaders of the Fourth Crusade breach the walls of Constantinople and enter the city, which they completely occupy the following day.
- 1861 – American Civil War: The war begins with Confederate forces firing on Fort Sumter, in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1864 – American Civil War: The Fort Pillow massacre: Confederate forces kill most of the African American soldiers that surrendered at Fort Pillow, Tennessee.
- 1934 – The strongest surface wind gust in the world at 231 mph, is measured on the summit of Mount Washington, New Hampshire.
- 1945 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies while in office; vice-president Harry Truman is sworn in as the 33rd President.
- 1955 – The polio vaccine, developed by Dr. Jonas Salk, is declared safe and effective.
- 1961 – The Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human to travel into outer space and perform the first manned orbital flight, in Vostok 3KA-2 (Vostok 1).
- 1980 – Terry Fox begins his "Marathon of Hope" at St. John's, Newfoundland.
- 1981 – The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place - the STS-1 mission.
- 1999 – US President Bill Clinton is cited for contempt of court for giving "intentionally false statements" in a sexual harassment civil lawsuit.
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY?
Darrell Issa Started His IRS
Investigation Because Karl Rove
Was Denied Tax Exempt Status
GOP-ED ENOUGH ALREADY?
Not One Law Republicans Passed Has Helped America In Over Forty Years
VA GOP candidate: No incest
exception for abortion because
sometimes it’s ‘voluntary’
Papyrus Mentioning Jesus's Wife Is Likely Ancient and Not Fake, Scientists Say
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
Vacationing Family Pulled Over, Handcuffed At Gunpoint By Air Force Base Security
Science is indisputable: Marijuana is medicine
The World’s Most Eco-Friendly Car: It’s Made Entirely From HEMP
HISTORY IS COMPLICATED. HUMAN HISTORY EVEN MORE SO:
Oldest Cave Paintings May
Be Creations of Neandertals,
Not Modern Humans
This Is the End of Facebook as We Know It
Twitter Just Bought a Startup
That Could Remake the Service
JIM DE MINT IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Jim DeMint’s History Lesson
Jim DeMint Wrestles With History And Fails
What Plantation Is Jim DeMint Living On?
Right-Wing History Redo: ‘It Was Faith, Not
the Federal Government that Ended Slavery’
Rush Limbaugh Blows a
Gasket and Claims Colbert
and CBS Have Declared
War on Conservatives
Will Colbert Use "The Late Show" To Save the World?
Bill O'Reilly: Stephen Colbert
Is Destroying America
Stephen Colbert Explains Bill O'Reilly's "Unified Theory Of Why Everything Is Going To Hell"
Colbert: O'Reilly Takes On "The Far Left's Obsession
With Equality" With "Grievance Industry" Attacks
That ‘War on Fox’ Guy Is
Not Actually Running for
Congress as a Democrat
Fox Host Declares Bush
The Best At Dodging Shoes
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.