- 1253 – Nichiren, a Japanese Buddhist monk, propounds Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for the very first time and declares it to be the essence of Buddhism, in effect founding Nichiren Buddhism.
- 1503 – The Battle of Cerignola is fought. It is noted as the first battle in history won by small arms fire using gunpowder.
- 1788 – Maryland becomes the seventh state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.
- 1789 – Mutiny on the Bounty: Lieutenant William Bligh and 18 sailors are set adrift and the rebel crew returns to Tahiti briefly and then sets sail for Pitcairn Island.
- 1869 – Chinese and Irish laborers for the Central Pacific Railroad working on the First Transcontinental Railroad lay 10 miles of track in one day, a feat which has never been matched.
- 1930 – The first night game in organized baseball history takes place in Independence, Kansas.
- 1932 – A vaccine for yellow fever is announced for use on humans.
- 1945 – Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by a firing squad consisting of members of the Italian resistance movement.
- 1947 – Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the Kon-Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.
- 1952 – Dwight D. Eisenhower resigns as Supreme Allied Commander of NATO.
- 1969 – Charles de Gaulle resigns as President of France.
- 1970 – Vietnam War: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon formally authorizes American combat troops to fight communist sanctuaries in Cambodia.
- 1975 – General Cao Van Vien, chief of the South Vietnamese military, departs for the US as the North Vietnamese Army closed in on victory.
- 1999 – In Alberta, Canada, 14-year-old Todd Cameron Smith fires upon three students, killing one and wounding another in the W. R. Myers High School shooting.
|Pictured: Not Donald Sterling.|
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST RACIAL SOCIETY:
TODAY IN THE WORLD OF SPORTS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
GOP STANDS FOR GOD'S OWN PARTY:
GOP STANDS FOR GIMME OUR PAYMENT!!!
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
DOUCHEBAG DU JOUR:
MICROSOFT IS NOT AN E.D. DIAGNOSIS:
SARAH PALIN IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.