|It was 50 years ago today: The Beatles had the |
Top Five singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- 1581 – Francis Drake is knighted for completing a circumnavigation of the world.
- 1768 – In London, England, Great Britain, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- 1818 – The United States Congress adopts the flag of the United States with 13 red and white stripes and one star for each state (then 20).
- 1841 – William Henry Harrison dies of pneumonia becoming the first President of the United States to die in office and with the shortest term served.
- 1850 – Los Angeles, California, is incorporated as a city.
- 1859 – Bryant's Minstrels debut "Dixie" in New York City in the finale of a blackface minstrel show.
- 1949 – Twelve nations sign the North Atlantic Treaty creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- 1958 – The CND peace symbol is displayed in public for the first time in London.
- 1964 – The Beatles occupy the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.
- 1967 – Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his "Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence" speech in New York City's Riverside Church.
- 1968 – Martin Luther King, Jr. is assassinated by James Earl Ray at a motel in Memphis, Tennessee. Robert F. Kennedy's speech on the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 1969 – Dr. Denton Cooley implants the first temporary artificial heart.
- 1973 – The World Trade Center in New York is officially dedicated.
- 1975 – Microsoft is founded as a partnership between Bill Gates and Paul Allen in Albuquerque, New Mexico
How The Supreme Court Just Legalized Money Laundering
By Rich Campaign Donors
More Than Corruption Threatens the Integrity of Our Democracy
The sad tale of how the Supreme
Court’s approach to money in politics
helped create the Inequality Era.
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia believes society is eroding because women use the 'F-word' and thinks Facebook is 'strange'
When Did The Gospel
ACLU: We're not buying Schuette's 'just doing my job' claim on gay marriage ban
Introducing The Federalist,
A New Web Magazine For Anti-LGBT Conservatives
Miami Beach scores 100, plus 12 bonus points, on updated HRC 2013 Municipal Equality Index
THE WAL*MART EFFECT:
Hungry for Savings
Walmart donates billions to anti-hunger initiatives.
Some of those efforts benefit its own employees.
The Sheldon Adelson Suck-Up Fest
Republican contenders prostrated themselves for the casino mogul's favor—a vivid illustration of who owns the GOP.
Georgia GOP Chair Warns That Straight People Will Enter Sham Gay Marriages For Benefits
18 Charts that Illustrate America's Insane Class
System from Birth till Death
Hash Bash 2014: Marijuana rally in Ann Arbor welcomes back organizer after 2 years in prison
DEA Chief: Please, Think Of The
Dogs Before You Legalize Pot
Pot activist alleges human rights
violated by AHS over vapourizer use
Lisa Kirkman fighting for right to use medical
marijuana vapour in hospitals and other public places
Arizona sheriff ordered to return medical marijuana to patient by state Supreme Court
Washington D.C. mayor okays measure decriminalizing possession of an ounce of pot
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST RACIAL SOCIETY:
Snyder Wins: How 'CancelColbert' Drowned Out the Native Voice
Nun Reportedly Tells Catholic School
Kids That Masturbation Makes Guys Gay
Fairbanks campus priest charged
with DUI, drugs and weapons
The death of a great American city: why does anyone still live in Detroit?
The city’s social contract was shredded
long ago and everyone knows time is running
out – but some Detroiters have hope
In arena deal, Detroit
worshipping Mike Ilitch
Why have we decided that a guy who became
a billionaire selling us cheap pizza is God?
Feds probe vote for Detroit
City Council leadership
New Book From WSU Press
Captures Detroit Art Explosion
In All Its Funky Splendor
A VIDEO DISPATCH FROM DETROIT:
A Videographer Tweaks The Controversial
Promotion For The Albert Apartments
Fox News host: ‘Right-wing people’ love gentrification because poor areas smell bad
Fox Kept Cutting Away
From Democrats During
Fox Is Annoyed That Other Networks Don't
Buy Into Its Benghazi Conspiracy Theory
Fox Finds Latest Food Stamp Poster Child
Fox's Starnes Embarrasses Himself With
Another Bogus Culture War Horror Story
Eric Bolling gets his
cleantech facts very wrong
Eric Bolling's Latest Conspiracy Theory: Obama "Bankrupted" GM To Protect It From Ignition Defect Fallout
LEGGY MEGGY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Megyn Kelly Accuses CAIR Of Trying To
Suppress Fox Coverage Of Anti-Islamic Movie
Congrats Fox & Friends
for being (almost) the first
to blame Obama for the
Fort Hood shooting
Gene therapy comes of age: We can now
edit entire genomes to cure diseases
Scientists Create an Unprecedented
Map of the Developing Human Brain
IN OUTER SPACE:
Honey, I Want to Move to Mars
My wife is a semifinalist to board a one-way mission to
the Red Planet. I’m proud, happy, and thrilled for her.
Now, do you want to know how I really feel about it?
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Compare and Contrast - London: 1927 & 2013
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.