- 1820 – The Missouri Compromise is signed into law by President James Monroe. The compromise allows Missouri to enter the Union as a slave state, brings Maine into the Union as a free state, and makes the rest of the northern part of the Louisiana Purchase territory slavery-free.
- 1834 – York, Upper Canada is incorporated as Toronto.
- 1836 – Texas Revolution: Battle of the Alamo – After a thirteen day siege by an army of 3,000 Mexican troops, the 187 Texas volunteers, including frontiersman Davy Crockett and colonel Jim Bowie, defending the Alamo are killed and the fort is captured.
- 1857 – The Supreme Court of the United States rules in the Dred Scott v. Sandford case.
- 1899 – Bayer registers "Aspirin" as a trademark.
- 1951 – The trial of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg begins.
- 1964 – Nation of Islam's Elijah Muhammad officially gives boxing champion Cassius Clay the name Muhammad Ali.
- 1975 – For the first time the Zapruder film of the assassination of John F. Kennedy is shown in motion to a national TV audience by Robert J. Groden and Dick Gregory.
- 1981 – After 19 years of presenting the CBS Evening News, Walter Cronkite signs off for the last time.
It's time for today's Headlines Du Jour:
TPM Interview: Why Kentucky's Attorney General Refuses To Defend His State's Anti-Gay Law
SMALLER GOVERNMENT, UNLESS YOU'RE A WOMAN:
Arizona Advances Bill
For Surprise Inspections
Of Abortion Clinics
SMALLER GOVERNMENT, UNLESS YOU'RE THE CIA:
The CIA Allegedly Spied on a Senate Committee Investigating the CIA
Dem State Rep: GOP Would Back Abortion if Black Men Impregnated Their Daughters
West Boca Raton man proudly flies KKK, confederate flags
KKK flags fly outside
2 mobile homes
The City You'd Least Expect Has
Just Decriminalized Marijuana
DEA Official: 'Every Single Parent' Opposes Marijuana Legalization
Ohio woman unknowingly
drove around with pot in her
spare tire since August 2013
FREE THE WEEDer!!!
Republicans Blow The Response
To Putin's Aggression
GOP’s pathetic Putin
debacle: How their foreign
policy politicking backfired
ANOTHER DISPATCH FROM DETROIT, 'MERKA'S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
The World's First 'Sexual
Home Appliance' Will
Haunt Your Dreams
Teen Explains Why He Had
Sex With A Hot Pocket
CRACK MAYOR CORNER:
Jimmy Kimmel: Upsetting Rob Ford was not my intent
'What were we supposed to talk about, his other hobbies?' Jimmy Kimmel says
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.