- 1885 – Louis Riel declares a Provisional Government in Saskatchewan, beginning the North-West Rebellion.
- 1895 – Auguste and Louis Lumière record their first footage using their newly patented cinematograph.
- 1918 – The U.S. Congress establishes time zones and approves daylight saving time.
- 1931 – Gambling is legalized in Nevada.
- 1941 – World War II: The 99th Pursuit Squadron also known as the Tuskegee Airmen, the first all-black unit of the Army Air Corp, is activated.
- 1945 – World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his "Nero Decree" ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
- 1954 – Willie Mosconi sets a world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition at East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio. The record still stands today.
- 1962 – Highly influential artist, Bob Dylan releases his first album, Bob Dylan, on Columbia Records label.
- 1987 – Televangelist Jim Bakker resigns as head of the PTL Club due to a brewing sex scandal; he hands over control to Jerry Falwell.
Anti-Gay Harlem Church Sign: 'Jesus Would Stone Homos'
Harry Belafonte calls for US to review its aid to all countries with anti-gay laws
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
The Secret Lives of
Inner-City Black Males
Paul Ryan's explanation for urban poverty isn't much different from Barack Obama's. Why did it make liberals so angry?
Do You Think the CIA Infected African-
Americans With HIV? You’re Not Alone
It’s a Fact: Republican Run
Red States Have America’s
Highest Poverty Rates
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
It's Payback Time for McDonald's -- Lawsuits Could Force Company to Hike Wages
The rich strike back
FREE THE WEED!!!
Federal Government Signs Off
On Study Using Marijuana
To Treat Veterans' PTSD
24 Mind-Blowing Facts About
Marijuana Production in America
How To Grow Pot for (Soon to Be) Legal Profit: Inside Cannabis
Career Institute's Miami Seminar
Medical marijuana stores
blocked from tax breaks
IT'S MICRO AND IT'S SOFT:
How to Survive the
Windows XPiration Date
Microsoft urges users of its aging software to move to Windows 8.1, but other paths might be easier
TODAY IN RELIGION:
Bryan Fischer Explains Why
God Did Not Smite Bill Maher
for Calling Him Out on Friday
IN OUTER SPACE:
NASA Scientists Create Largest High-Resolution
Interactive Mosaic Of Moon’s North Pole
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.