Now, let's get to today's Headlines Du Jour:
- 1493 – Explorer Christopher Columbus arrives back in Lisbon, Portugal, aboard his ship Niña from his voyage to what is now The Bahamas and other islands in the Caribbean.
- 1519 – Hernán Cortés arrives in Mexico in search of the Aztec civilization and their wealth.
- 1628 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony is granted a Royal charter.
- 1681 – Charles II grants a land charter to William Penn for the area that will later become Pennsylvania.
- 1789 – In New York City, the first Congress of the United States meets, putting the United States Constitution into effect. The United States Bill of Rights is written and proposed to Congress.
- 1791 – A Constitutional Act is introduced by the British House of Commons in London which envisages the separation of Canada into Lower Canada (Quebec) and Upper Canada (Ontario).
- 1837 – The city of Chicago is incorporated.
- 1861 – The first national flag of the Confederate States of America (the "Stars and Bars") is adopted.
- 1865 – The third and final national flag of the Confederate States of America is adopted by the Confederate Congress.
- 1917 – Jeannette Rankin of Montana becomes the first female member of the United States House of Representatives.
- 1974 – People magazine is published for the first time in the United States as People Weekly.
As Regnerus Testifies
Against Marriage In
Court, His University
Denounces His Research
Hobby Lobby Win At
Supreme Court Could Lead
To More Anti-Gay Laws
Texas man shoots 9-year-old in the head during illegal backyard target practice
Native Americans vow a last stand
to block Keystone XL oil pipeline
FREE THE WEED!!!
Deputy Drug Czar Admits
Marijuana Is Safer Than Alcohol
Father Sold Marijuana to Pay for Son’s Funeral
Pope accidentally says 'f***'
during Sunday blessing after
getting his Italian wrong
Rep. Steve King Calls Homosexuality ‘Self-Professed Behavior’ — Unlike Religion
Sex store owner gave
workers polygraph test
HISTORY IS COMPLICATED. EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY EVEN MORE SO:
X-ray analysis suggests Neanderthals spoke languages similar to our own
CNN’s Sally Kohn to GOP:
You’re ‘Practically Cheering’
for Putin on Ukraine
How Do Republicans Feel
Now About Their Recent Hero-Worshiping Of
Big Business Turns On
The Republican Party For
Proposing Tax Reform
Detroit Scam City:
How The Red Wings Took Hockeytown For All It Had
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
The American Right Wing Is In A Death Spiral Of Denial And Racism
Students being trained
to fight anti-Semitism
Fox News host calls out Darrell Issa for ‘highest level of falsehood’ on Benghazi
FREE THE CRACK MAYOR:
Kevin Spacey mocks Toronto mayor after Ford cameo on Jimmy Kimmel show
Rob Ford in Hollywood: ‘What movie were you in again?’
What 10 people in Hollywood said about Rob Ford
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
Apple CEO Tim Cook to climate deniers: “Get out of this stock”
Rare Mutation Kills Off Gene Responsible for Diabetes
IN OUTER SPACE:
Astronomers Discover a
Small Black Hole
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Sugar Chile Robinson
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.