- 1702 – The Daily Courant, England's first national daily newspaper is published for the first time.
- 1708 – Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch vetoes legislation.
- 1824 – The United States Department of War creates the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- 1848 – Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine and Robert Baldwin become the first Prime Ministers of the Province of Canada to be democratically elected under a system of responsible government.
- 1861 – American Civil War: The Constitution of the Confederate States of America is adopted.
- 1888 – The Great Blizzard of 1888 begins along the eastern seaboard of the United States, shutting down commerce and killing more than 400.
- 1918 – The first case of Spanish flu occurs, the start of a devastating worldwide pandemic.
- 1946 – Rudolf Höss, the first commandant of Auschwitz concentration camp, is captured by British troops.
- 2011 – An earthquake measuring 9.0 in magnitude strikes 130 km (81 mi) east of Sendai, Japan, triggering a tsunami killing thousands of people. This event also triggered the second largest nuclear accident in history, and one of only two events to be classified as a Level 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale.
Lesbian couple murdered and left near dumpster in Texas
The quickly shifting language of the transgender community
He, she, ze, and how to navigate a new landscape
Right-Wing Zealots Are Already Freaking Out About The Return Of Cosmos!
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
Race, the War on Drugs
and Mass Incarceration
GOP Lawmaker Accused of
Racism for Tweet About the NBA
Pennsylvania trooper fatally shoots pregnant wife in the head while cleaning his gun
STARVING THE INFRASTRUCTURE:
Use of Public Transit in U.S. Reaches
Highest Level Since 1956, Advocates Report
Coconut Grove’s Blanche
Park to close through
summer to remove toxic soil
From the Not Now Silly archives:
A Century of Coconut Grove Racism ► Soilgate Is Trolleygate Writ Large
It Takes Nine Days to
Spot a Stoned Driver
MORE DISPATCHES FROM DETROIT, 'MERKA'S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
Detroit Doesn't Need Hipsters To Survive, It Needs Black People
Graffiti Tagger Hits One Of
The New Shinola Clocks
That Were Gifts To Detroit
Most Corrupt Town in America in
Danger of Being ‘Wiped Off the Map’
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Fox & Friends First Misspells ‘Spelling Bee’
A SIGN OF THE TIMES:
Honest Ed’s latest bargain: those zany signs
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.