- 1602 – The Dutch East India Company is established.
- 1616 – Sir Walter Raleigh is freed from the Tower of London after 13 years of imprisonment.
- 1815 – After escaping from Elba, Napoleon enters Paris with a regular army of 140,000 and a volunteer force of around 200,000, beginning his "Hundred Days" rule.
- 1852 – Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin is published.
- 1854 – The Republican Party of the United States is organized in Ripon, Wisconsin.
- 1916 – Albert Einstein publishes his general theory of relativity.
- 1933 – Giuseppe Zangara is executed in Florida's electric chair for fatally shooting Anton Cermak in an assassination attempt against President-Elect Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1952 – The United States Senate ratifies a peace treaty with Japan.
- 1985 – Canadian paraplegic athlete and humanitarian Rick Hansen begins his circumnavigation of the globe in a wheelchair in the name of spinal cord injury medical research.
- 1987 – The Food and Drug Administration approves the anti-AIDS drug, AZT.
- 1995 – A sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway kills 13 and wounds 1,300 persons.
- 2003 – 2003 invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries (the UK, Australia and Poland) begin military operations in Iraq.
American bars start boycotting Russian vodka over Ukraine
Has Gone Gay Crazy
The madness has spread from the
Christian Right’s talking heads to the leading lights of the Republican Party.
Janet Mefferd Upset Honey Maid's Graham
Crackers Push 'The Gay Propaganda Machine'
Russell Crowe Meets the
Pope, but Will Religious
Viewers See Noah?
TODAY IN FLOR-I-DUH:
Miami Cops Now Have To Check
Guns At Door Of City Hall
In Florida, medical marijuana will be legal, John Morgan says
What can the Dutch teach
the U.S. about selling pot?
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
Yes, Schools Do Discriminate Against Students Of Color
10 years of social media's biggest
players and payouts by the numbers
THE "O" IN GOP STANDS FOR OBSOLETE:
GOP Lawmaker Says Sick Leave, Equal
Pay Bills Make Women 'Look Like Whiners'
Illinois Republicans Nominate Candidate Who
Blames Gay Rights For Autism And Tornadoes
Rangel Questions Why Obama Thought He Could Work With ‘Mean, Racist’ Tea Party
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Fox News host Bill Hemmer
explains missing plane: ‘It took
2,000 years to find Noah’s Ark’
White House Mice Attack Fox News
GM's Problem Will Affect It And Industry 'For Decades' -- Walsh
Salaries driving Detroit police officers to the suburbs
Rob Ford: Gun photos
found on laptop that is connected to crack video,
according to documents
CAN YOU DIG IT:
126 Million Year Old Fossil Of Stick Insect Found In Mongolia
Our Universe May Exist in a Multiverse,
Cosmic Inflation Discovery Suggests
NASA Orbiter Finds New Gully Channel on Mars
VIDEO DU JOUR:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Lee "Scratch" Perry.
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.