- 1775 – American Revolutionary War: Patrick Henry delivers his speech – "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" – at St. John's Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia.
- 1806 – After traveling through the Louisiana Purchase and reaching the Pacific Ocean, explorers Lewis and Clark and their "Corps of Discovery" begin their arduous journey home.
- 1857 – Elisha Otis's first elevator is installed at 488 Broadway New York City.
- 1909 – Theodore Roosevelt leaves New York for a post-presidency safari in Africa. The trip is sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution and National Geographic Society.
- 1919 – In Milan, Italy, Benito Mussolini founds his Fascist political movement.
- 1933 – The Reichstag passes the Enabling Act of 1933, making Adolf Hitler dictator of Germany.
- 1956 – Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- 1965 – NASA launches Gemini 3, the United States' first two-man space flight (crew: Gus Grissom and John Young).
- 1983 – Strategic Defense Initiative: President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles.
- 1989 – Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann announce their discovery of cold fusion at the University of Utah.
Why Are Black People
Nearly 4 Times as Likely
to Be Arrested for Weed?
‘Christian’ Militia Leader
NOW Networking Militias To Assassinate President Obama
IN LGBT NEWS:
LGBT community honors murdered lesbian
couple as investigation continues
NJ senator to introduce marijuana
legalization bill Monday
Michigan medical pot bills
would OK edibles, dispensaries
Colorado launches informational
Henry Ford’s Suppressed Hemp Car –
What We All Should Be Driving
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
LAPD Officer Raped Woman and then Dept.
Tried to Bury Case, Threatened her with Jail
A new lawsuit alleges that the Los Angeles police department
stonewalled a case of rape by one of its own.
Rand Paul’s “youth” snow job: Why he’ll never, ever, ever win over young voters
STREAMING OR STEAMING?
Netflix Just Opened the Door to
Paying ISPs More Access Fees
Right Wing Billionaires Tell People Forget Income Inequality Worship Us Instead
ANOTHER DISPATCH FROM DETROIT, 'MERKA'S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
2 Car Thefts Push WSU Board Member Kim Trent Closer To Leaving ‘My Beloved City’
DNA Mugshots Possible
IN OUTER SPACE:
Now you see it: Nasa spots Martian
gully that formed in just three years
Just After It All Began, the Universe Sent
Us a Text Message. We Just Decoded It.
Phil Plait explains the universe's sudden and dramatic
inflation…tiny fractions of a second after the Big Bang.
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.