• 1565 – The city of Rio de Janeiro is founded.As if that's not enough, let's add today's Headlines Du Jour:
• 1642 – Georgeana, Massachusetts (now known as York, Maine), becomes the first incorporated city in the United States.
• 1692 – Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are brought before local magistrates in Salem Village, Massachusetts, beginning what would become known as the Salem witch trials.
• 1781 – The Continental Congress adopts the Articles of Confederation.
• 1790 – The first United States census is authorized.
• 1845 – President John Tyler signs a bill authorizing the United States to annex the Republic of Texas.
• 1847 – The state of Michigan formally abolishes capital punishment.
• 1872 – Yellowstone National Park is established as the world's first national park.
• 1873 – E. Remington and Sons in Ilion, New York begins production of the first practical typewriter.
• 1893 – Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri.
• 1896 – Henri Becquerel discovers radioactivity.
• 1932 – The son of Charles Lindbergh, Charles Augustus Lindbergh III, is kidnapped.
• 1936 – The Hoover Dam is completed.
• 1966 – Venera 3 Soviet space probe crashes on Venus becoming the first spacecraft to land on another planet's surface.
Stephen Colbert on SB1062 going down in Arizona
FREE THE WEED!!!
Girl Scouts Outlaw Cookie
Sales Outside of Pot Shops
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
25 Things Everyone Needs to Know About
the Lives of Black People in America
Tea Party Nation President
Writes Possibly the Most Insane
Letter You Will Ever Read
How spending has fallen under Obama
NEWS YOU CAN USE:
50 Supermarket Tricks You Still Fall For
HISTORY IS COMPLICATED:
8 Surprising Historical Facts That Will Change Your Concept Of Time Forever
LETTER: Fox News out of touch
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
O’Reilly Lectures Valerie
Jarrett and Michelle Obama
About How To Prevent
BILL O'REILLY TO OBAMA ADVISER: Tell 'Gangsta Rappers' To 'Knock It Off'
O’Reilly delusional about being self-reliant
Oh, Really, Bill? Once Again,
O'Reilly Can't Admit a Mistake
Bill O’Reilly criticizes Mower County officials; judge calls Fox News report slanted
O’Donnell Mocks O’Reilly’s ‘Stupid Question’ About a Woman President
VIDEO DU JOUR
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.