- 1820 – The U.S. Congress passes the Missouri Compromise.
- 1836 – Texans celebrate the first Texas Independence Day with the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence, officially broke Texas from Mexico, and creating the Republic of Texas.
- 1845 – Florida is admitted as the 27th U.S. state.
- 1857 – Second Opium War: France and the United Kingdom declare war on China.
- 1873 – Censorship in the United States: The U.S. Congress enacts the Comstock Law, making it illegal to send any "obscene, lewd, or lascivious" books through the mail.
- 1875 – The first ever organized indoor game of ice hockey is played in Montreal, Canada as recorded in The Montreal Gazette.
- 1885 – The American Telephone & Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York.
- 1913 – Thousands of women march in a suffrage parade in Washington, D.C.
- 1923 – TIME magazine is published for the first time.
- 1931 – The United States adopts The Star-Spangled Banner as its national anthem.
- 1938 – Oil is discovered in Saudi Arabia.
- 1951 – Jackie Brenston, with Ike Turner and his band, records "Rocket 88", often cited as "the first rock and roll record", at Sam Phillips' recording studios in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1991 – An amateur video captures the beating of Rodney King by Los Angeles police officers.
Now let's take a look at today's Headlines Du Jour:
Oscars 2014: Winners list
Ellen DeGeneres brings pizza and deadpan affability to Oscars
Ellen DeGeneres Breaks Twitter
With Truly Epic Oscars Selfie
Things You Missed at the Oscars:
On the Scene at the Dolby Theater
Oscars 2014: Bill Murray gives
late Harold Ramis shoutout
while presenting award
U2, Pharrell and Karen O Stun With
Showstopping Oscar Performances
Oscars 2014: Ranking the acceptance speeches! -- VIDEO
Oscars: 'In Memoriam' Snubs Cory Monteith, James Avery, Tom Clancy
When May I Shoot a Student?
ON THE CRIMEBEAT:
FBI reports a drop in crime in
2013: why the rate continues to fall
TODAY IN RELIGION:
5 Things Kentucky Could Spend $73 Million On Instead Of A Fake Noah's Ark
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
Man Who Tried to Hire KKK to Hang Black Neighbor
‘From a Tree’ Like ‘An Animal’ Begs Court for Leniency
Man Says It's Okay To Do Blackface If You Sleep With Black Chicks
Harvard Professor To NFL:
Treat Concussions With Pot
Gov. Jerry Brown on
legalized marijuana: ‘How
many people can get stoned
and still have a great state?’
Marijuana legalization on
cusp of mass acceptance
IN COCONUT GROVE:
If It's News, It's News To The Coconut Grove Grapevine
Ilitches to get all revenues from new publicly financed Red Wings arena
SCIENCE IS COMPLICATED:
What Louis Armstrong
Louis Armstrong, in His
Own Words: Armstrong
Biographer Terry Teachout
Takes Satchmo to the Stage
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.