- 1663 – The Province of Carolina is granted by charter to eight Lords Proprietor in reward for their assistance in restoring Charles II of England to the throne.
- 1707 – The Acts of Union 1707 is signed, officially uniting the Kingdoms of England and Scotland to create the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1765 – American Revolution: The Kingdom of Great Britain passes the Quartering Act that requires the Thirteen Colonies to house British troops.
- 1832 – In Hiram, Ohio a group of men beat, tar and feather Mormon leader Joseph Smith.
- 1837 – Canada gives African Canadian men the right to vote.
- 1882 – Robert Koch announces the discovery of mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
- 1896 – A. S. Popov makes the first radio signal transmission in history.
- 1958 – Rock'N'Roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
- 1965 – NASA spacecraft Ranger 9, equipped to convert its signals into a form suitable for showing on domestic television, brings images of the Moon into ordinary homes before crash landing.
- 1989 – Exxon Valdez oil spill: In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (38,000 m3) of petroleum after running aground.
- 1993 – Discovery of Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9.
What Judge Friedman learned about gay families from a lesbian law clerk
THE "P" IN GOP STANDS FOR PERVERT:
This GOP Candidate For Governor
Is A Registered Sex Offender
With A Lengthy Criminal Past
Poll: 74 Percent of Floridians
Support Medical Marijuana
Marijuana industry finds unlikely
new allies in conservatives
Twitter Turns 8: How To Fail In 140 Characters
◄ ◄ ABLOW JOB ► ►
Pull the plug on naked Twitter teens
◄ ◄ ABLOW JOB on NOT NOW SILLY ► ►
Today's Ablow Job ► "Dogs Love Fox"
Creationist Glenn Beck Calls Noah
Film Dangerous Disinformation
◄ ◄ From the Not Now Sill Archives ►►
The Day I Shook Hands With Glenn Beck
A conversation with Bill O’Reilly
IN INNER SPACE:
New genetic research shows we have more in common with Neanderthals than we thought
Alien Moons Could Bake
Dry from Young Gas
Giants' Hot Glow
Stanford: Big Bang tremors
may back physicist's universe-birth theory
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.