- 1804 – Louisiana Purchase: In St. Louis, Missouri, a formal ceremony is conducted to transfer ownership of the Louisiana Territory from France to the United States.
- 1876 – Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."
- 1891 – Almon Strowger, an undertaker in Topeka, Kansas, patents the Strowger switch, a device which led to the automation of telephone circuit switching.
- 1922 – Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in India, tried for sedition, and sentenced to six years in prison, only to be released after nearly two years for an appendicitis operation.
- 1945 – The U.S. Army Air Force firebombs Tokyo, and the resulting conflagration kills more than 100,000 people, mostly civilians.
- 1952 – Fulgencio Batista leads a successful coup in Cuba and appoints himself as the "provisional president".
- 1969 – In Memphis, Tennessee, James Earl Ray pleads guilty to assassinating Martin Luther King Jr. He later unsuccessfully attempts to retract his plea.
- 1977 – Rings of Uranus: Astronomers discover rings around Uranus.
Let's get right to today's Headlines Du Jour:
Watch The ‘Not-Racist’ Crowd React
To ‘Annie’s’ Blackness In Remake
TODAY IN VOTER FRAUD NEWS:
How Much Voter Fraud Is There?
A state-by-state map reveals the answer: almost none.
Income equality is just a
dream for most Americans
4 States Where the
Rich Got Richer at
the Expense of the Poor
Tests show THC content in
marijuana edibles is inconsistent
MORE DISPATCHES FROM DETROIT, 'MERKA'S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
Detroit Police Chief Tells
Homeowners Don’t Wait for Cops –
‘Shoot Thugs Who Invade Your Home’
M-1 Rail groundbreaking nears amid hopes for a broader regional system
CPAC Presidential Straw Poll Picks Guy Who Thinks Whites-Only Lunch Counters Should Be Legal
THE SIMPSONS IN THE NEWS:
Scientists Discover New
Process that Protects Earth
from Space Weather
Every red dwarf star
has at least one planet
REMEMBERING COSMOS, THE ORIGINAL SERIES:
Cosmos reboot with Neil deGrasse Tyson: 13 new episodes after 34 years - What to expect
'Cosmos' then and now: The 'personal voyage' of Carl
Sagan, the Hollywood cool of Neil deGrasse Tyson
VIDEO DU JOUR:
REMEMBERING CARL SAGAN,
THE ORIGINAL COSMOS HOST
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.