Hello, Headliners. Before you rush out and celebrate the birthday of Grover Cleveland -- still the only president to serve 2 non-consecutive terms -- here are some Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear for your enjoyment:
- 37 – The Roman Senate annuls Tiberius's will and proclaims Caligula emperor.
- 1673 – John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton sells his part of New Jersey to the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as Quakers.
- 1766 – American Revolution: The British Parliament repeals the Stamp Act.
- 1850 – American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- 1874 – Hawaii signs a treaty with the United States granting exclusive trade rights.
- 1892 – Former Governor General Lord Stanley pledges to donate a silver challenge cup, later named after him, as an award for the best hockey team in Canada the Stanley Cup.
- 1922 – In India, Mohandas Gandhi is sentenced to six years in prison for civil disobedience. He serves only 2 years.
- 1938 – Mexico nationalizes all foreign-owned oil properties within its borders.
- 1940 – World War II: Axis Powers – Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini meet at the Brenner Pass in the Alps and agree to form an alliance against France and the United Kingdom.
- 1942 – The War Relocation Authority is established in the United States to take Japanese Americans into custody.
- 1959 – President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a bill into law allowing for Hawaiian statehood, which would become official on August 21.
- 1968 – Gold standard: The U.S. Congress repeals the requirement for a gold reserve to back US currency.
- 1974 – Oil embargo crisis: Most OPEC nations end a five-month oil embargo against the United States, Europe and Japan.
- 1992 – In a national referendum white South Africans vote overwhelmingly in favour of ending the racist policy of Apartheid.
Now, let's take a look at today's Headlines Du Jour:
First glimpse of big bang
ripples from universe's birth
Gravitational Waves from
Big Bang Detected
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
South Dakota GOP lawmaker: KKK business owners deserve right to ban blacks and gays
Paul Ryan’s race flap even worse than it looks
The notion that Ryan was dog-whistling to racists is actually
the best-case scenario. Here's the scary alternative
'Code Words for Race':
What’s Really Behind GOP’s Poverty and Welfare Obsession
When Paul Ryan decried the "culture"
of inner cities it followed a long
conservative tradition, a scholar explains.
Judge rules against creationist teacher who called Buddhist student’s faith ‘stupid’
THINGS DON'T GO BETTER WITH KOCHS:
Koch Brothers Group
Ads After Fact-Checkers
Prove Them False
case for legalizing pot
Miami's First Marijuana
School Could Open in April
A Head Start for Florida
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
There is no meritocracy: It’s just the 1 percent, and the game is rigged
Fox News Praises Gay
Ban at New York's St.
Patrick's Day Parade
Hosts call Mayor Bill deBlasio a 'religious bigot' for not marching in today's parade.
ANOTHER DISPATCH FROM DETROIT, 'MERKA'S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
Detroit area water authority talks hit cutoff
Planet X myth debunked
Star next door may host a 'superhabitable' world
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.