- 44 BC – Casca and Cassius decide, on the night before the Assassination of Julius Caesar, that Mark Antony should stay alive.
- 1780 – American Revolutionary War: Spanish forces capture Fort Charlotte in Mobile, Alabama, the last British frontier post capable of threatening New Orleans in Spanish Louisiana.
- 1794 – Eli Whitney is granted a patent for the cotton gin.
- 1885 – The Mikado, a light opera by W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan, receives its first public performance in London.
- 1900 – The Gold Standard Act is ratified, placing United States currency on the gold standard.
- 1936 – The first all-sound film version of Show Boat opens at Radio City Music Hall. (There had been a part-talkie, part-silent version of Show Boat in 1929.)
- 1942 – Orvan Hess and John Bumstead became the first in the United States successfully to treat a patient, Anne Miller, using penicillin.
- 1943 – World War II: The Kraków Ghetto is "liquidated".
- 1964 – A jury in Dallas finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing Lee Harvey Oswald, the assumed assassin of John F. Kennedy.
- 1967 – The body of U.S. President John F. Kennedy is moved to a permanent burial place at Arlington National Cemetery.
Eight More Couples Sue Florida to Recognize Gay Marriages From Other States
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
Sex charge dropped; state
says ex-coach entrapped
Jim Brown Says Slavery
Wasn’t So Bad. And That’s
Bad News for the GOP
CHRIS CHRISTIE CORNER:
Christie to Town Hall
Hecklers: ‘Sit Down and
Keep Quiet or Get Out!’
Seth Rogen Rattles Off Many of the
Celebs with Whom He’s Smoked Weed
marijuana in Maryland killed
TODAY IN RELIGION:
Hundreds of Belgians flock to
glowing Virgin Mary statue
Noah 'won respect of animals by fighting them'
O’Reilly Blasts Russell Simmons for Being ‘Too Frightened to Answer’ Questions
TV Host Bill O'Reilly: Beyonce's 'Partition' Video May Cause 'Unwanted Pregnancies'
Hey, Bill O'Reilly and David Gergen! You
Should Really Hear Abe Lincoln's Fart Joke
Fox News has an “Angry Grandpa” freakout:
Obama is making them irrelevant
O'Reilly's upset that Democrats can reach young non-cable
viewers because it's dooming his network -- and his party
IN OUTER SPACE:
ESO’s Very Large Telescope spots largest yellow hypergiant star
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.