• 1782 – American Revolutionary War: the House of Commons of Great Britain votes against further war in America.Let's get right to today's Headlines Du Jour:
• 1801, Washington, D.C. is placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress.
• 1812 – Poet Lord Byron gives his first address as a member of the House of Lords, in defense of Luddite violence against Industrialism in his home county of Nottinghamshire.
• 1844 – The Dominican Republic gains independence from Haiti.
• 1864 – American Civil War: The first Northern prisoners arrive at the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
• 1900 – The British Labour Party is founded.
• 1933 – Reichstag fire: Germany's parliament building in Berlin, the Reichstag, is set on fire.
• 1940 – Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben discover carbon-14
• 1963 – The Dominican Republic receives its first democratically elected president, Juan Bosch, since the end of the dictatorship led by Rafael Trujillo.
Arizona Governor Jan
Brewer Vetoes Hatred
That Was Disguised As
Religious Freedom Bill
Arizona governor Brewer
vetoes controversial anti-gay
law, Ohio pulls similar bill
after Brewer’s veto
Texas ban on marriage equality ruled unconstitutional, Rick Perry upset
A NEW, NEW DEAL?
Obama wants to put people to work by fixing
the nation’s crumbling roads and bridges
Police Chief Cites Fake News
Article in His Anti-Pot Testimony
Man Arrested in Key West: "I Thought Cocaine Wasn't Illegal in Florida"
TODAY IN RELIGION:
Brent Bozell: American Atheists 'Devoted To The Hatred Of God'
Rob Ford wraps up day in Ottawa, gets criticized by Quebec mayors
HE AIN'T HEAVY. HE'S MY CRAZY ASS BROTHER:
Spike Lee’s epic anti-gentrification speech
IN CLIMATE CHANGE NEWS:
SEE IT: NASA images
capture desperation of
California recorded its driest year on record in 2013. New images capture bone-dry conditions near Sacramento and along the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Stossel: ‘Crotchety Old
Geezers’ Like O’Reilly
Need to Quit Complaining
About ‘The Kids’
THE FALAFEL KING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Tucker Carlson: It’s ‘called fascism’ when laws give LGBT people equal treatment
Tucker Carlson: US Should Stop Entry Of Refugees Because They'll Vote Democratic -And It's Not His 'Moral Obligation'
Fox News guest tells Hannity: ‘Overfed’ non-whites use food stamps as a ‘fat pill’
IN OUTER SPACE:
Bullying black holes force galaxies to stay red and dead
NASA discovers 715 new planets
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.