• 474 – Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
• 1775 – American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
• 1913 – A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
• 1950 – Second Red Scare: Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being filled with Communists.
• 1964 – The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers.
And now, let's get right to today's Headlines Du Jour:
FIRST, THE GOOD NEWS:
The rapper will not get to stop, drop, shut Zimmerman down after all
Justice Department to
give married same-sex
couples equal protection
SO GLAD WE'RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
‘Racial slurs’ used in more
than 10,000 tweets a day
Republican Party wing creates
18 fake websites for Democrats
PASS THE POPCORN!!!
Tea Party Brings The Knives
Out For Mitch McConnell
TODAY IN RELIGION:
The Religious Right Sells the False Choice of the State or Christianity
Alaska Could Be The Next
State To Legalize Marijuana
This Is Why So Many Reasonable People Think Anti-Marijuana Crusaders Look Ridiculous
Marijuana Legalization Plan Stalls in New Mexico
Former high school bully congratulates gay victim after seeing marriage proposal online
Some bullies never seem to learn:
The Johnny Dollar Cyber-Bully Comments of the Day
Bill O'Reilly Is On The
Wrong Side Of The
Minimum Wage Debate
O’Reilly Sucks Up
To Ted Nugent
Bill O'Reilly: "I Believe
That John Boehner Is
Secretly A Democrat"
Geraldo Rivera Calls O’Reilly ‘President
Of Most Of The White Guys In America
Rob Ford ‘talking gibberish’ during late night B.C. pub visit
Mayor reportedly disappeared into tiny staff washroom for more than an hour, emerging incoherent and fidgety before ordering rounds of drinks.
Toronto police mostly quiet on visit to Mayor Rob Ford’s office
Somali group to use Gawker funds for mentoring
NC parenting columnist’s 3-year-old son shoots 17-month-old sister
with dad’s gun
6-year-old Alabama boy
shot while Dad was trying
to unload his pistol
IN OUTER SPACE:
Red skies discovered on extreme brown dwarf
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.