• 1753 – In Sweden February 17 is followed by March 1 as the country moves from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar.Now that that's over with, let's take a gander at today's Headlines Du Jour:
• 1801 – An electoral tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr is resolved when Jefferson is elected President of the United States and Burr Vice President by the United States House of Representatives.
• 1819 – The United States House of Representatives passes the Missouri Compromise for the first time.
• 1933 – The Blaine Act ends Prohibition in the United States.
• 1959 – Project Vanguard: Vanguard 2 – The first weather satellite is launched to measure cloud-cover distribution.
• 1965 – Project Ranger: The Ranger 8 probe launches on its mission to photograph the Mare Tranquillitatis region of the Moon in preparation for the manned Apollo missions. Mare Tranquillitatis or the "Sea of Tranquility" would become the site chosen for the Apollo 11 lunar landing.
• 1996 – In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, world champion Garry Kasparov beats the Deep Blue supercomputer in a chess match.
BOYCOTT THE SOCHI OLYMPICS!!!
TODAY IN HEALTH CARE:
Hospital charges shown to vary widely
Some bill more 'because they can'
New details emerge on Colorado
marijuana operators raided by feds
Deep pockets and personal stories underpin Florida's medical marijuana push
HACKING DU JOUR:
Kickstarter Hacked, Credit Card Data Safe
PHONE HACKING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Murdoch's ex-British paper boss Brooks to start phone-hacking defense
Would Fox News' Bill O'Reilly be a good president in 2016 or not?
FOX "NEWS" IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Why would a Michigan medical clinic block Fox News?
WHEN THE MITT HITS THE FAN:
Election Thief Karl Rove Says Chris Christie Is What We Want In a President
PASS THE POPCORN!!!
Reviled by Republicans,
Ted Cruz is ‘So Hated,
He’s Going to Need
a Food Taster’
REAL ESTATE CORNER:
Al Capone's gangster mansion on the market in Miami Beach
Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Talk to the Police
CRACK MAYOR CORNER:
Rob Ford’s Toronto: where the buck doesn’t stop
If Ukrainians can protest their leader in weather even colder than Toronto’s, why are Torontonians content to let Rob Ford be mayor?
Michael Dorn Confirms He’s Working on a ‘Star Trek: Captain Worf’ TV Series
CBS developing new CSI
and EMS related Star Trek
Pastor dies after snake he was handling bit him
DYLAN IN DECLINE:
Bob Dylan and the Ethics of Market Fascism
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.