|The headline from a year ago|
• 1525 – The Aztec king Cuauhtémoc is executed by Hernán Cortés's forces.Without any further delay, let's get to today's Headlines Du Jour:
• 1849 – Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS California in San Francisco Bay, 4 months 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
• 1883 – The first vaudeville theater opens in Boston
• 1885 – The American Telephone and Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York State as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone. (American Bell would later merge with its subsidiary.)
• 1939 – The erroneous word "dord" is discovered in the Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
• 1953 – James D. Watson and Francis Crick announce to friends that they have determined the chemical structure of DNA; the formal announcement takes place on April 25 following publication in April's Nature (pub. April 2).
• 1991 – The first Gulf War ends.
• 1993 – Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raid the Branch Davidian church in Waco, Texas with a warrant to arrest the group's leader David Koresh. Four BATF agents and five Davidians die in the initial raid, starting a 51-day standoff.
• 2013 – Pope Benedict XVI resigns as the pope of the Catholic Church becoming the first pope to do so since 1415.
Coconut Grove Developer
Fined After Cutting Down 100-Year-Old Trees Around Charles Ave.
Aftermath of the Great
Miami Tree Massacre
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING:
Unprecedented Interruption of Supreme Court Proceedings
Joe Walsh Calls LGBT Community 'Constitutional Terrorists' Amid Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Protests
FREE THE WEED!!!
Marijuana bill clears
New York pastor: Obama
sending ‘white homo demons’
to ‘scoop up’ black men
Noah's ark project in
Ky. to move forward
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY???
Louie Gohmert: God ‘answered my prayers’ by creating the Tea Party
5 years later, here's how the
tea party changed politics
Tea Party leader attacks Jan Brewer
for allowing “slavery” and penis cakes
Facebook Shuttering Messenger
Apps for Windows, Firefox
Chrome users attack Google for zapping
unsanctioned Windows add-ons
FOX NATION IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Eric Holder Hospitalized. Fox Nation Readers Hope He Dies
Here's Why Fox News
Should Report On The
Noose Hung Around A
Civil Rights Statue
At Ole Miss
Fox Debunks Its Own
Defense Of Right-Wing
Special Interest Groups
Sexist Pig Bill O’Reilly Insists That There Is A Downside To Having A Female President
IN OUTER SPACE:
What if We’ve Completely
Misunderstood Our Place
in the Universe?
Bizarre Orbit of Weird Asteroid's Moon Revealed
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Don Francks stars in Jericho!!!
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.