• 1804 – The first self-propelling steam locomotive makes its outing at the Pen-y-Darren Ironworks in Wales.But, what's happening in the world right now? Take a gander at just a few of today's Headlines Du Jour:
• 1842 – John Greenough is granted the first U.S. patent for the sewing machine.
• 1848 – Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish The Communist Manifesto.
• 1878 – The first telephone book is issued in New Haven, Connecticut.
• 1885 – The newly completed Washington Monument is dedicated.
• 1925 – The New Yorker publishes its first issue.
• 1947 – In New York City, Edwin Land demonstrates the first "instant camera", the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America.
• 1948 – NASCAR is incorporated.
• 1958 – The peace symbol, commissioned by Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in protest against the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, is designed and completed by Gerald Holtom.
• 1965 – Malcolm X is assassinated at the Audubon Ballroom in New York City by members of the Nation of Islam.
• 1972 – President Richard Nixon visits the People's Republic of China to normalize Sino-American relations.
2.5 years off your life
FREE THE WEED!!!
Companies Moving Now
To Cash In On Cannabis
Marijuana news: Colorado governor projects millions in pot tax and sales revenue
Investigator Tells a Lynching
Story, Forced to Resign
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
Income inequality: Among US cities, bigger ones are more unequal
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
Georgia House votes to allow
weapons in bars and churches
Ted Cruz Stands Up For
Hateful Racist Ted Nugent
During CNN Interview
Bachmann Explains Why Americans Still ‘Aren’t
Ready’ for a Female President
TEE VEE NEWS IN THE NEWS:
The End of America’s
Lindsay Lohan and Mom Do Cocaine Together? Actress Blasts New Reports
John Romano: Pam Bondi, Fox News a match made in conservative heaven
Bill O'Reilly Is Worried About "Homosexual Overtones"
In The Girl Scouts
BEST HEADLINE DU JOUR:
College Security Head
Arrested For Jerking Off
Into Co-Worker's Shoe
IN FRANK ZAPPA NEWS:
Scientists name bacterium for Frank Zappa
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in today's open thread.